Peppermint Patty Misto. Do you know what a misto is? I didn’t either until I started looking up recipes for London Fogs and read that it could also be called a “misto.” So … a misto is a tea drink with steamed milk in it. Since I can’t drink any kind of tea that uses the leaves of Camellia sinensis (your every day average tea leaves), I would need to find another leaf to use in my drink – perhaps an herb. So, I got to thinking. If I use peppermint leaves, a little bit of cocoa, some sweetener and steam the milk, it will taste like a peppermint patty, right?
Tada! The Peppermint Patty Misto! It’s deliciously light. Definitely not the same as a coffee latte, but that’s okay. Some days we just need something different. As a child I used to love tea with some milk in it. Now, I love tea with STEAMED milk in it because I’m an adult and we just require some extra work to make our happy drinks.
- 4 peppermint tea bags
- 16 oz. boiling water
- 2 tsp. cocoa
- 2 Tbls. sweetener of choice (honey, raw sugar, etc.) or to taste
- 8 oz. steamed milk (milk froths best when it's low in fat so I use 1% or a dairy alternative such a hemp milk)
- Steep the tea bags in boiling water for 5 minutes.
- In a large measuring cup, combine the cocoa and sweetener with a little hot tea water to make a paste then slowly add the remaining water and stir well.
- Divide the tea between two large mugs.
- Carefully pour half the steamed milk and froth into one mug then top the second mug.